NEW 2020 DATA
Abortion legislation | Practical conditions | Abortion statistics
Characteristics of women having induced abortion | Fertility and contraception data | Country-specific characteristics
1975: abortion is allowed (Law N° 75-17 dated 17 January)
2001: Law N° 2001-588 (4 July)
2013: Decree N° 2013-248 (25 March)
2014: Law N° 2014-873 (4 August)
2016: Law N° 2016-41 (26 January)
Specific conditions due to COVID-19
- Decree of Minister of Solidarity and Health adopted on April 14th 2020
- Recommendations – “COVID-19 rapid responses”, published by the High Health Authority
- Re-debating a bill to improve access to abortion that extends the gestational limit from 12 to 14 weeks, enables midwives to perform surgical abortion up to 10 weeks, and disallows providers to deny abortion care based on personal beliefs. Bill currently waits for a vote in Senate.
– Extended gestational limit for EMA at home from 7 to 9 weeks
– Prescribing medications using telemedicine or phone consultations
– Administrating medicaments in pharmacy
- Written consent by the woman
- Pre-abortion consultation (legal counselling) + pre-abortion confirmation consultation + pre-abortion laboratory tests
- No mandatory period between pre-abortion confirmation consultation and abortion procedure. In case there is a consultation with a social worker, it is followed by a mandatory 2-day period before the signature of the consent form which can be done on the day of the abortion procedure.
- Contraception to be evoked during pre-abortion consultation.
Specific conditions for minors
- Pre-abortion consultation with a relationship counsellor required for minors under 18 (emancipated minors excl.).
- Parent’s (or guardian’s) consent required for minors under 18 (emancipated minors excl.). If the minor wants to keep abortion a secret, she has to be accompanied by an adult of her choice.
Abortion legislation | Practical conditions | Abortion statistics | Characteristics of women having induced abortion
Fertility and contraception data | Country-specific characteristics
The slides presented are freely accessible. They may be used, copied, displayed or distributed provided that their source is given
COVID measures taken from the article by Bojovic N, Stanisljevic J, Giunti G. The impact of COVID-19 on abortion access: Insights from the European Union and the United Kingdom. Health Policy. 2021 Jul;125(7):841-858.
IPPF European Network – Updated January 2012 (http://www.ippfen.org/)
HAS Guidelines 2021
Mouvement Français pour le Planning Familial (MFPF) (http://www.planning-familial.org/)
Ministère des affaires sociales sanitaires et de la santé. Je m’informe sur l’IVG (http://ivg.social-sante.gouv.fr/l-ivg-en-pratique.html)
INSEE (https://www.insee.fr/fr/outil-interactif/5367857/tableau/20_DEM/22_NAI) Code de la santé publique : Article R4127-47 (https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006072665&idArticle=LEGIARTI000006912913&dateTexte=&categorieLien=cid)
Legifrance.gouv.fr – JORF n°0057 du 8 mars 2016 texte n° 30
IVG.GOUV.FR Toute l’information sur l’interruption volontaire de grossesse (http://mtsfp-vm-dicom-ivg-preprod.accelance.net/avortement-prix.html)
We thank Pr. Aubert AGOSTINI for his help in data collection.
If you have additional data or if you would like to comment some information, please contact email@example.com.
Page updated in January 2022