- Written consent by the woman
- Approval from 1 or 2 physicians or national authority (except when life is in danger)
- Pre-abortion consultation (legal counseling) + pre-abortion laboratory tests
- Contraception evoked during the medical consultation.
Specific conditions for minors
- Specific counseling for minors under 16.
- Social worker involved, parents (or guardians) never informed.
Mandatory pre-abortion examinations
- Blood group and rhesus factor
Involved healthcare professionals
- Surgical abortion: obstetrician/gynaecologist (OB/GYN) or another physician
- Medical abortion: OB/GYN or another physician
Overall number of induced abortions
Abortion ratio per 1.000 live births: 190.3 (2019)
Abortions performed “on request”: % ()
Overall number of induced abortions vs. medical abortions
Induced abortions per gestational ageUnfortunately we have no data for this country.
Place of abortion
Characteristics of women having induced abortion
In 2019, among women who had induced abortion:
- **% lived in Finland
- 37% had at least 1 previous induced abortion
- 9,2% had given birth in the last 2 years.
Fertility and contraception
Women age at first birth
- 29.7 years of age (2020)
A special thanks to our correspondents for contributing in data collection.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional data or would like to comment information
Page last updated: 30 May 2023